Friday, March 04, 2005

Imaging Saturn...slowly improving

I am slowly improving my images. This is the best single frame image I took tonight.



I removed the light pollution filter to get more natural colors. It's mostly useful for faint objects anyway. This image was captured using a 9mm Plossl eyepiece, in manual mode on my Cannon G1 at ISO 50, full zoom, F 2.5, 1/6th of a second exposure, manual focus on the camera set to focus as close as possible, and then manually focussing using the telescope.

I think I need to get a web cam CCD imaging device to remove the issues concerning transient changes in viewing conditions (jet stream/house thermals etc.). At least the images are getting better! Still, nothing like what I can see by eye through the scope though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, hope you are well. Much of the same on our end. Kinda miss ya, in channel, and I dropped by to see if you had any new pics up. I shall return. :)

Gerald T said...

http://marsrelaystation.blogspot.com/

See ya Gerald

Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog yuriwho. I was searching for information on astronomy lesson plans and came across your post Imaging Saturn...slowly improving - not quite what I was looking for related to astronomy lesson plans but very interesting all the same!

Well, it's a new year - in fact it's almost the Chinese New Year. I'm still putting together astronomy lesson plans for the first and second semesters. This year the budget allows us to purchase a new telescope for the science group. That's great so we're still juggling the numbers how to get best bang for the buck! Not the 'big bang' you understand LOL. I'm coming down on the side of the Meade LX200GPS 12" Schmidt-Cassegrain. Let's wait and see.

If you do have a moment, please take a look at my new site on: Astronomy for Kids .

A happy new year to everyone!

Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog yuriwho. I was searching for information on discount telescopes and came across your post Imaging Saturn...slowly improving - not quite what I was looking for related to discount telescopes but very interesting all the same!

If you have a moment, why not hop over and take a look at my report on telescopes.

Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice post how to use a telescope. I was looking for some data on how to use a telescope and came across your blog. I'm really interested in finding info on how to use a telescope - pretty crucial I do it quick for my uni research project.

If you do get a moment, perhaps you'd care to visit my new astronomy site: Astronomy Telescopes. Thanks!